Sunday, February 4, 2018

Devotion Is Swallowing Beliefs with a Burp


this entire life
I have been trusting in the
-Vajra Guru

I even had faith him in childhood
when I hadn’t yet heard the name
-Vajra Guru

he always was my hidden diamond light in this mere
phantom life unfolding as broken shards of wonderment
- Vajra Guru

before I met any of his manifestations in the flesh
I had painted His Majesty life-size on my apartment wall towering
- Vajra Guru

in storm and rain and hail from the darkness of my unenlightened heart
I felt as if I was indeed circling with his dancers in Tashi Jong celebrating
- Vajra Guru

at which moment the faith of the inner sky merged with the faith of
the outer sky to forever remain with invincible
- Vajra Guru

in person

I prostrated before the Vajra Guru as the perfect Monk of yore
speaking in hushed tones as if every syllable was soft as honey
and every word the jewel of absolute truth in itself

I incidentally met the Vajra Guru in public wearing a black hat
& in private pointing out the Great Seal
his body as pliant as a giant baby of the unborn manifested world

I sat across the Vajra Guru as the Perfect Tamer of Beings that he is
even though he wore dirty slacks  to a cheap Chinese house robe
& his hair was unwashed with an oily shine & his voice screeched

I was introduced to the Vajra Guru by others praising him as the perfect yogi
with whom I never knew how to communicate except in silence
but still he blessed me as if with a sleight of hand and sealed me in retreat

I had the good fortune to befriend the Vajra Guru as the best of friends
who simply gave himself and everything he had to everyone
& finally promised never to leave – a promise which he keeps


to some

this Vajra Guru thing is seen
as senseless heroics
the egomania of a bygone age

may the laughing phurba shatter such notion to pieces

Vajra Guru is devotion of the unborn born
& the only road to him is devotion of the kind
that pierces everything to the heart of hearts

apart from that
we don’t need to make a spectacle
& thus a nuisance of ourselves


© Choyin Dorje/Matthias Dehne 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment