Friday, August 3, 2018

The Superficial Practitioner-In Padmasambhava's Words


According to Padmasambhava whom through my root and lineage gurus, I claim to be the source of my practice, I am nothing but a very superficial dharma practitioner.  But even then, despite the inability to be genuine, I still have to try & proceed according to my limited abilities.



Padmasambhava said, and his statements appear in italics & larger font size below, whereas my (self) observations are set in ordinary font.



“It is superficial to chant the scriptures without having faith.”

Well, for all I know, faith may be hiding in the basement or in some deep recesses of the mind, but it certainly isn’t there up front, all the time.  The taste of faith usually dissipates as soon as it arises.



“It is superficial to behave in an altruistic way without feeling compassion.”

In my case, most of the time half-numbness & half-presence rule supreme.  There is no acute sense of compassion, only a hazy sense of its possibility.  I certainly do not hear the lice scream out in pain and horror when they pop in the freezing cold in a fur coat left out in the open for exactly this purpose, like some yogi of yore could hear them as it happened.



“It is superficial to act generously without being free from stinginess.”

I certainly calculate the numbers and the odds for reward before I make a contribution.  And even if I tell myself to not do, I still do.  I can't help myself.  I am calculating.



“It is superficial to be a practitioner of tantra and not keep the commitments.”

The question is not so much, when have I broken them. The question is, when have I NOT broken them! Especially the most basic precept of awareness keeps being broken and must be totally shattered by now.  But I still try against all odds.  May be the trying is also a road destined to fail.  But what can I do!



“It is superficial to be noble without meditating.”

Most of the time my so-called mediation is just make-believe. No depth, except for flickering moments.



“It is superficial to have knowledge without practicing the dharma.”

Laughable!  There isn’t even knowledge of the scriptures beyond the most general and patched up. And as far as real practice is concerned, see above.



“It is superficial to engage oneself in a dharma that does not possess the essence of practice.”

Like the dharma of reading novels; the dharma of watching movies; the dharma of geopolitics; the dharma of the pursuit of fame & what not!  But at least I have avoided following purely intellectual presenters of Buddhist topics, or any one of the self-proclaimed modernizers.



“It is superficial to teach others when one does not act in accordance with the dharma oneself”

O Boy! Do I have it coming!  Yet surprisingly, my shabby attempts at helping a few dharma friends appear to have some good results. Which can probably only happen due to the blessings of my o so super-patient gurus who intervene with their subtle ways & don’t let my few students down.  Left to my own devices completely, I would.



“It is superficial to give advice that one does not follow oneself.”

Listen up, Choyin Dorje, listen up!

Padmasambhava concludes by saying

My ears are tired of listening to ‘learned’ people whose dharma practice does not tame their own minds, but who simply allow it to increase their disturbing emotions.  Whatever they say is nothing but superficial talk.”



—English translation of Guru Rinpoche’s words

According to Nima Lama


No comments:

Post a Comment